How Many Boxes Can Fit in an Impala?

As many of you know, I became engaged to the most amazing man, the one that God created just for me in August of this year. We had planned on a wedding in June of next year… started making plans that aligned with what would “work best” with our individual situations.

I’m a school counselor and have summers off. He works at a factory that normally has a “shut down” in the summer as well. With such “perfection” in regard to timing, it was not a difficult decision to pick a date in June to pledge our love in front of God, our families, and our friends.

We began praying more consistently and earnestly than we ever had over our relationship and upcoming marriage. We made a considerable effort to pray over every decision, big and small. I remember specifically beginning to pray that God would direct every aspect of our wedding including the date that we should have it, where we should have it, and many other details like where we should live, etc (I live in the South, and he lives in the North–so someone’s gotta move HAHA!)

Exactly three days after praying that prayer, my fiancé called me and said that his factory was making new inventory beginning in 2019 and that he was no longer guaranteed time off. So, we were faced with a decision. We could have the wedding this December when he would have guaranteed time off in December and January, or we could wait until December of 2019 or the summer of 2020 with no guarantee that he would actually have time off. After much prayer, we decided that getting married this winter was what God intended for us….

and we also decided that I would be the one to move.

If you have read my blog posts thus far, you will know that I’m not a person that enjoys taking risks… or leaving a job that I love… or moving away from family.

I don’t enjoy change. It’s uncomfortable.

But do you know what I enjoy more?

Following the will of God.

Even when His will challenges me. Because His plans are shaping me into the person that He has designed for me to be.

But just because I want to follow the will of God doesn’t mean that I’m not scared to death to do so.

It doesn’t mean that I’m not concerned with finding a job, with the financial decisions that go along with that, with leaving behind the students that I’ve poured into this year, with so many more aspects of life.

I met up with my fiancé recently at his sister’s house in North Carolina. We spent time with her, made new friends, ate delicious food, and rode scooters around the city. But my favorite part of the whole weekend was attending Elevation Church – Uptown campus.

The pastor spoke about Joshua 3, and how sometimes, we want to “camp in comfort.”

Ouch.

I was convicted before the message even started. But then the pastor began to list out his sermon points and began to preach his message, and the conviction that I felt only grew. I would like to share with you what I learned from God through the pastor’s message.

First, we all have choices.

We are not robots or zombies. We have free will. We have to live on purpose. The pastor asked this question, “Are you allowing how uncomfortable you are to hold you back from saying ‘yes’ to God?”

Ouch.

I was saying “yes” to God on the outside with the decisions that I listed above by turning in my letter of resignation and planning a winter wedding, but I knew in my heart that I hadn’t let them go to God. I was holding on to them, stressing over them, trying to take them into my own hands. In many ways, I was saying “no” to God.

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.

1 Peter 5:7

I was saying, “No, God, I believe I’ll keep my anxiety today. Thanks, though.”

Second, fear keeps us camping.

The pastor said that mentally camping does not allow your roots to grow deep. In my case, God is telling me to uproot and re-plant somewhere else. If I decide to mentally and spiritually camp, His will cannot come to fruition in my life because I am not allowing the roots of His love and His provision and His comfort to grow deep in my life, as I am uprooting my physical roots to move from one part of the United States to the other.

Third, doing God’s will requires consecration.

Consecration just means setting ourselves apart. As Christians, we must consecrate ourselves daily, especially mentally. Because I can say from experience, attacks are coming when you decide to live for God. When I did some soul searching, I realized that I had not been mentally consecrating myself and therefore allowing negative and toxic thoughts to camp in my mind.

Lastly, we must cross.

If God has called us to do something, we must be obedient. He loves His children so very much. He has wonderful and awesome plans for us, and they are plans that will bring us joy and not harm.

The LORD your God is with you, the Mighty Warrior who saves. He will take great delight in you; in his love he will no longer rebuke you, but will rejoice over you with singing.”

Zephaniah 3:17

He takes great delight in His children, and He rejoices over us.

Trust Him, Macey.

Trust Him, friends.

Let’s do what the Israelites did in Joshua 3:17,

The priests who carried the ark of the covenant of the Lord stopped in the middle of the Jordan and stood on dry ground, while all Israel passed by until the whole nation had completed the crossing on dry ground.

Let’s follow the presence of God, wherever He may lead. For me, it’s moving across the country and starting a new life with my soon-to-be-husband. For you, it may be something entirely different. But whatever He is asking you to do, I encourage you to say “yes” to Him and “no” to your fears, your insecurities, and your desire to be comfortable.

Much love,

Macey

Advertisements

60 Comments Add yours

1. Lara says:

Happy Birthday, Macey! May you enjoy and savour your last birthday as a single woman, as you look forward to a lifetime of birthdays with your husband by your side.

Liked by 1 person

2. Happy Birthday Macy!!! Great post it’s given me something to think about.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you! So glad it spoke to you!

3. Amanda says:

🥳 Happy birthday! Hope your day is amazing.

Praying favor and blessings as you take on your future with God right beside you!

4. Anne Bailey says:

Happy Birthday Macey!! Love this post!!

Liked by 1 person

5. Congratulations on your engagement! I am so excited for you all and I just love the family you are marrying into. May God bless you and Mitch on your new journey together!

Much Love,
    Courtney 🙂

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! God has surely blessed me with Mitchell and all of the Ehmans 💕

6. Great thoughts! Happy Birthday!

7. Roberta Nelson says:

Thank you for this amazing blog Macey! Happy Birthday!

1. Thank you so much! I’m so glad it touched your heart! ♥️

8. wendyblight says:

So thankful Karen sent me over here to read your wise words today! They blessed me greatly. Wishing you a very happy birthday today. We LOVE the Ehmans. When Kenna moved to Charlotte many years ago, she lived with us and we consider her one of our own. We love your new family to be, so I know we’ll love you. Look forward to meeting you one day.

Blessings,

Wendy

Liked by 1 person

1. Aww! Thank you so much for these kind words! I’m so glad that what God has taught me has touched your heart as well! Can’t wait to meet you!

9. Dana says:

Happy Birthday Macey! I have followed Karen for years. I loved her posts in Proverbs 31, and I am a Michigan girl also! I came over to Macey’s Place Online to wish you a happy birthday and a congratulations. I have copied your link and sent to my 19 year old daughter because I love what you have to say and I feel your faith will be a wonderful example to her as she grows.
    God Bless.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much for these kind words and the birthday wishes! I feel blessed that you visited my page and that what God has taught me touched your heart! I hope these words touch your daughter’s heart as well!

10. Happy Birthday Macey and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. I am praying for God’s blessing on both. There is nothing more wonderful than living in the center of our amazing God’s Will. Colossians 3
    Martha Galletta ( a girl from the south Savannah, GA who moved to the north Penn Yan NY to do ministry and to live God’s choice for my life)

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much!! Your comment has blessed me very much! Can’t wait to refresh my mind on Colossians 3! ☺️

11. Kellie says:

Thanks for this reminder Macey!!! So good!!! And Happy BIrthday!!!! And God bless you and Mitchell as you start your life together!!!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much for this sweet comment!

12. Ali says:

Happy Birthday Macey! I follow Karen from her book launch Listen, Love, Repeat I read her post on how you and Mitch met; what an awesome story. So I came over to check out your blog and wish you birthday blessings. I love your writing style and that you are blessing others with your gift.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much for this sweet comment! I’m so glad that what God has taught me has blessed you as well!

13. Rachel says:

Macey,

Happy Birthday from England! Loved your blog today and hope your last birthday as a single lady is fab!

Love,

Rachel

14. Marjorie West says:

Happy Birthday Macey! Congratulations on your engagement! I’m a follower of Karen’s blog and I’m liking what I see with your blog too. Margie/NY

Liked by 1 person

1. Aw! Thank you so much for that kind comment! I’m honored!

15. Elaine says:

Best wishes and God’s blessings on your upcoming marriage to Mitch! I love your love story!!!

1. Thank you so much! I’m partial to our love story as well ☺️

16. L says:

Happy Birthday Macey!!🎉💐🎶 Enjoy your last birthday as a single woman. Loved the messages, reminds me I need to remember He is always at my side and nudging me to continue following HIS will not mine.
    Happy Birthday!!
    God ‘s Blessings on your wedding in December!

17. Valerie says:

Happy Birthday Macey! May you find special blessings on this your celebration day. Your future Mother-in-law has now revealed what a fantastic lifetime you have planned by seeking out her son Mitch, and use of Instagram as a highway to find just the perfect Godly man and his beautiful dog. Who says social media is not good? You certainly have found out quite the opposite:-)
    Lord bless you as you begin a new chapter of your life.

18. Amy Stierwalt says:

Happy Birthday, Macey, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding.👰

19. Stephanie says:

Happy birthday, Macey! You are such a gifted writing with incredible insight. Thank you for sharing, and God’s best for your upcoming transitions.

20. Megan L. says:

Great post! Thanks for sharing, and congratulations on your upcoming wedding. Happy Birthday!

21. Brenda says:

Happy birthday Macey. What a special winter you have. Congratulations on your engagement.

22. Martha Troxel says:

Happy birthday!
    Is there some way to subscribe or follow your blog? I really thought your post recent post was very good.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! I believe you can enter your email and receive my posts by email! Let me look into how to do that and post instructions for you! 🙂

2. If you click on one of my blog posts, you should see the word “follow” in the bottom right hand corner. Clicking this button allows you to enter your email address and receive updates. This may vary based on viewing it on a computer or a phone and then based on what kind of phone you have. I hope this helps!

23. Martha Troxel says:

I meant to write most recent post.😀

24. Robin says:

Happy birthday and congratulations on your engagement!
    I follow your amazing future mother-in-law and now I’m going to follow you, your blog post really blessed me.
    Praying for you!🙏🏾😃

1. Thank you so much for these kind words! So grateful for a new follower! ♥️

25. Larissa says:

Happy birthday! I’m very impressed with your writing style, faith and insight. I lead a women’s small group and will be sharing your post with them. It’s not always easy to do what God calls us to do, but so worth it. The great thing about God, is that he qualifies the called. Bless you for stepping out in faith. Looking forward to reading more of your posts and future writing.

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much! Praying in advance for when you will share this message!

26. So excited for you as you move out of your “Camp Comfort.” I can’t wait to get to know you as time goes by. Mitchell is so blessed to have you!

Liked by 1 person

1. Thank you so much for these kind words! I’m very blessed to have him!

27. Lynn Martin Cowell says:

I’m so glad you got to come to Charlotte and that you loved Elevation! It’s my home church and I love it too!

Liked by 1 person

1. Me too! The campus pastor for the Uptown location preached such a wonderful message!

28. Sue Murphy says:

Happy Birthday! Congratulations on your engagement and coming marriage!

29. Anne B says:

Happy Birthday! Prayers for your new adventure as a Michigander, married life and all the exciting and not so sure things coming your way. God has great plans for you (Jeremiah 29:11).

30. Jessica says: